Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blogger vs. LiveJournal

My fellow classmates, JH & JF:

Forgive me for taking until nearly the final hour to get this final post posted this week! I honestly had a bit of difficulty determining many differences between Blogger and LiveJournal (apart from the obvious, annoying & obnoxious overuse of ads in LJ!) Whenever I made note of some feature I thought was unique to one platform, I’d dig around a bit in the other to, lo and behold, find that it offered a similar feature as well.

Here’s a summary of the differences I was finally able to ascertain:

Blogger:
~Very easy to set up and use
~Clean interface
~Can also be posted to via txt messaging and email
~Comment notifications can be sent via email
~Can customize with HTML editor
~Ability to set up a “team blog” with multiple authors
~Automatic save feature


LiveJournal:
~Main emphasis seems to be on “creating communities”; lots of encouragement to find journals of those who have similar interests as yours
~Easy to set up and use (yet not, IMHO, as simple & straightforward as Blogger)
~3 levels of account types: Basic, Plus & Paid: http://www.livejournal.com/site/accounts.bml
~Plus account pages are littered with many distracting ads
~Can also be posted to via txt messaging, email AND voice (5/month on plus plan; 20/month on paid)
~Comment notifications can be sent via email, text message and IM
~Can customize layouts with CSS
~Lots of (also imho “gimmicky”) features: users can pick different “userpics” to display on each post, users can set their mood for (and get a LiveJournal-generated emoticon attached to) each post, posts can be marked as “memories” as well as others (such as, in the paid version, setting “background music” to one’s journal)

4 comments:

Spung Mills History Room said...

Hi JG,

Thanks for the comparison. I'm part of a community on LiveJournal (based on a folk music festival), but apart from that, I haven't been impressed with the interface.

Miss Fornelius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenna F said...

I can't stand LJ and their ads and emoticons and their paid services! I totally agree - it's very community-oriented; I think I commented on jc's blog about how LJ would be great to join if your friends are already on it, so you can make little communities and "hang out" online. But yeah, as far as the rest of it goes, I'm not a fan.

PS - ignore my previous deleted comment. I was logged into my personal gmail account, and didn't want that showing up as my name.

Unknown said...

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up

glastonbury