Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jenesea Swansong hated Second Life until she discovered ALA Island!

Gabrielle made the comment that perhaps "the third time's the charm" and that was also my experience in exploring Second Life this week. The first couple of times I went there, I felt like Alice right after falling down the rabbit hole: lost, confused and wondering what everyone I met was smoking. I wonder if it had anything to do with my "visiting" at night? (Maybe that's when all the loonies come out?) Like Amy mentioned too, I felt kind of silly in my little pink polka dot dress amidst all the leather, animal parts and other get-ups the people I encountered were in. My "home" was set in Wengen in a ski lodge (I thought I had chosen to visit and set my "home" there, but after reading GC's post, I wonder if that's a default?) I played some kind of game there with everyone (where we grabbed these things that were falling out of the sky for money, but I don't think I did very well, since my bank account is still empty!) I also got myself teleported to Information Island and walked around a bit, but didn't see much to do and was too shy to walk up and talk to anyone.

The next night, I went to a "library" that seemed to be somewhere in Asia (I couldn't read any of the signs.) Seeing that I could visit different countries, I tried to go to Italy but was denied access. I then, after noticing it advertised somewhere, went to Candy Cane Lane (which I found out once I was there was in Hong Kong Island.) It was pretty, but a little spooky because it was empty. So, I tried to go back "home" again thinking it might be better than the night before, but it was still one big freak-show. So I teleported myself back to Info Island and sat on someone's chair (hoping he wouldn't mind) before logging off.

Today, however, I found ALA Island and had a much better in-world experience! I didn't meet anyone there, but upon entering, was greeted with a welcome message and found helpful signs and explanations everywhere I went. It is very well organized (every round table and sub-organization has its own little "information booth") and there are directional signs and different events at every turn. (It's definitely a "place" created by librarians!)

I found a big, comfy couch to chill out on and was able to make a READ poster of my Avatar reading the free book I acquired there (step by step directions on how to do this are right there if anyone else wants to check it out/try it.)




So, while Second Life isn't as intriguing a place as I had originally expected it to be, ALA Island helped me see the potential it has.

No comments: