Friday, December 5, 2008

Which game console to get?

If I were in charge of selecting a game system for our library, I would start my research by seeing what other libraries similar to ours are using and would ask their librarians why they selected the system they did, how are they using the system, what's the response from their customers and would they have chosen something different if they could make their purchase decision over again. I would also consult various library blogs to get a feel for which system generally seems to work best (and would consider contacting those blogging librarians who are expert "gamers" if I had specific questions.) Most importantly, I would ask our customers themselves if they would come to library sponsored gaming events and, if so, which game console would THEY prefer?

As far as criteria to consider after doing this background research, I would primarily focus on which system would get the most use (among all patrons, which would include children through senior citizens in a public library setting.) Secondly, I would (be forced to) consider cost.

Based on these things, I would currently choose the Wii system. Based upon what I've read and heard from other librarians: the PS3 is currently too expensive (for both the system and the games; the PS2 is more affordable (but probably lacks the "wow" factor the wii and xbox360 have); and, the xbox360, while affordable, good for multi-playing games and great graphics, is more limited in game selection for children and many senior citizens. The Wii seems to have that Goldilockish-"just right"-fit for public libraries trying to acquire a system that will appeal to most of its customers.

As new games and gaming systems are continually being developed (and things like price, selection and users' wants and needs change,) librarians will constantly have to reassess their gaming offerings.

1 comment:

fgy299 said...

Xbox 360



http://fgy299-freebiesforyouandme.blogspot.com/