Sunday, October 19, 2008

Delicious as a class "Virtual Introduction"

I really like the idea of using Delicious as a "virtual introduction" process in other classes. The majority of my online classes had us write an introduction and, after several classes with most of the same people, this got a little trite at times. Having students pick 10-15 sites that currently best describe them would be a fun alternative. As others have blogged already, this exercise would be most effective if participants were required (or, at least, strongly encouraged) to write a description for each bookmarked site. I had initially held back from elaborating on my sites because I felt that since my descriptions would be out there "for the whole wide world to see", I should keep them generic. After seeing how much more interesting it was to read the bookmarks from my classmates who included more personal descriptions, however, I loosened up a bit and included my own. (Realizing that the vast majority of readers on the Web don't really give a hoot about what I'm writing anyway is kind of liberating!)

No comments: