Monday, October 20, 2008

pbwiki vs. wetpaint

I peeked at wikispaces, wetpaint and wikidot when trying to choose another wiki service to use this week. I ended up choosing wetpaint for reasons more subjective than its features (I liked its look and was touched by the reason it was created: a group of friends had a friend with cancer and wanted a way to find and share information about all he was going through.)

I found it to be just as simple to set up a new wiki on as pbwiki is. There are also many pretty templates to choose from (which I felt made my site look more like a non-wiki-website, if that makes any sense.) The biggest downside with wetpaint is that it has those darn ads (which makes the site appear less professional I think than pbwiki.)

Two features of wetpaint that I liked (and have yet to find on pbwiki, though I might just not be looking hard enough) are the ability to email particular pages and the "To-Do" tool. "To-Do" lets users write a memo (to oneself and other users) about what needs to be done on the wiki. (It reminded me of the messages you sometimes see in Wikipedia saying that an article needs citations or something.) This is a good feature not only to encourage collaboration and input, but also to alert readers in a sense when a particular page or section is not yet complete. (I was thinking this feature could be especially useful when a wiki is being used for a group project or presentation to communicate what needs to be done among group members.)

No comments: