Monday, October 27, 2008

My Online-MLIS Experience at SCILS

Late Nights I was kind of at a loss when I first heard Steve say he wanted us to take pictures describing our experience at SCILS. The total mess my house has become was the first thought that came to mind, but I would never subject myself to the embarrassment of showing that disaster to the world. I thought about snapping a shot of the sorry state of my face (I'm prone to breaking out when I'm stressed and am prone to stressing out when I'm in school) but figured that was kind of gross. I also thought about photographing my newly found white hairs (which I'm probably just starting to get because I'm starting to get older, but it makes me feel so much better to blame them on grad school!)

While I have albums upon albums of pictures from my undergrad days (remember back in the 90's when people got pictures "developed" and put them in "photo albums"?) taking pictures of anything in my online graduate experience was something I never thought to do. It has been a wonderful educational experience and I have met and learned with and from an incredible bunch of people. I'm also thrilled about the exciting library career I have ahead of me. But, it has been a pretty tough and grueling experience. The lack of sleep has been the hardest part, I think.

To see other images about my experience, check out my "long, strange trip" set on flickr.

For a more interesting and varied look at what it's like being an MLIS grad student at SCILS, see our classmates' group pool at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/scils598f08-edexperience/pool/

2 comments:

Spung Mills History Room said...

I wanted to put up a photo of my messy condo, but like you, just couldn't subject the rest of the world (and my remaining shreds of self-respect) to that! :)

I haven't yet been able to pull a real all-nighter like I used to do; the body always vetoes it. I don't know how you do it. But I guess you're almost there!

Gabrielle said...

I have a similar clock in my house, and I've pulled more "all-nighters" since I started this program than I EVER did as an undergrad!!! As you say, between kids, classes & living your life, the middle of the night is often the only time I can hear myself think. Good luck with the rest of the program.....