Thursday, November 13, 2008

Can you recommend a good book?

When I first decided to become a librarian I used to envision myself skillfully helping people find the "perfect" next book to read. But I was shocked to discover how difficult providing readers' advisory services actually is, since the concept of what makes a "good book" is such an abstract, individual and personal thing. I've come to rely on resources such as Novelist to help with the task and feel that anyone who loves to read would enjoy using it too to explore the universe of books.

Because of this, my screencast is an introductory look on how to use the Novelist database:
http://www.screencast.com/t/36kqkOm5kj

I need to add that making a screencast was much harder than I ever imagined it could be. (Once again, Steve makes things look so easy and looks can be deceiving!) I apologize in advance for the quality/length of mine. My mouse is dying, I think, and kept "sticking" when I wanted to click and scroll on different parts of the screen. Can't tell you how many recordings I ditched prior to finally settling on this less-than-perfect final project. I can see how useful screencasts can be in the library world, but I also understand now that it takes a lot of time and effort to produce quality results.

No comments: