Sunday, November 2, 2008

On top of everything else, I killed the hermit crab

I don't really like hermit crabs. I wasn't all too thrilled when my parents bought a couple of them for my daughter this past summer. I was even less thrilled when I was the one who ended up getting stuck taking care of them.

But I really feel horrible about what happened to one of them the day before Halloween.

The whole sad story is here:

http://www.switchpod.com/users/jgscils598f08/crabs.mp3


Or, you can listen to it with this player:

4 comments:

Gabrielle said...

This is a sad, sad story. Hopefully that will teach your parents not to give your kids pets. (lol) We have a variety of fish, a firebelly toad, and a poor baby wren that fell out of its nest buried in our back yard. Right now, I live in fear that I will accidentally kill our remaining firebelly toad (Toady). No one else notices him, but I'm guessing they would notice if he was gone...

Laura A said...

Oh Jen, I feel for you!!!! But try to console yourself with the thought that the hermit crab is in a happier place now with all his hermit crab friends having hermit crab parties with reggae music and silly hats and sun glasses ...

Jenna F said...

Aww! Poor hermit crabs. How did your kids react? It's always sad to lose a pet - when I was growing up, we had a little terrier-mix mutt dog who developed really bad cataracts and diabetes. When I was 13, we had her put down. It was sad, but she was extremely old and ill, and it was for the better.

Spung Mills History Room said...

This is a sad story, even if I think hermit crabs are probably not the best pet material in the world (said the woman who used to have an iguana as a child^). I like Laura's vision of a hermit crab afterlife though, that is the greatest! (and can I sign up?) But what really grabbed me was the post title: "On top of everything else, I killed the hermit crab". That is just NOT a sentence you see every day, to put it mildly!