Sunday, November 2, 2008

podcasting vs. text-based blogging

I definitely think that people's preferences of listening to podcasts or reading blogs stems from whether they are mostly auditory or visual learners. I, personally, prefer reading to listening (for example, I'm not a big audiobook fan and not a big phone person, but I love to read print books and communicate via email or even old fashioned "letters".) But there are pros and cons inherent to each medium as well.

Good podcasts (ie, those that are well-produced and delivered) can oftentimes be more engaging and entertaining. The fact that they are portable is another big plus. And they (literally) give a human voice to their message which can oftentimes help listeners feel more connected to their authors.

While the podcasts we've listened to in this class have all been very well produced, I can imagine how painful poorly produced ones would be to listen to. I think people may have more of a tendency to ramble on when speaking (as opposed to writing...though I guess they can ramble there too!) Another detraction is that podcasts can't be skimmed through as a blog post can be. (That's another reason why I prefer print books to audiobooks....if something is boring or irrelevant, it can be skimmed and parts can be skipped over. One might miss "important stuff" by doing this in either an audiobook or a podcast.)

No comments: